Icarus has had an unusual history. The aluminium Chassis was from featherweight “FlatPack” and was sold to another roboteer. Chris then bought this in 2018, restored it and added an Axe weapon. This was to be the first bot since Team Dorset Tech was formed and the first to carry our Mythology theme.
It made it’s debut at Extreme Robots in Portsmouth, May 2019. Unfortunately due to a speed controller failure, the bot ran without it’s axe weapon for the event, but sported its family feathers and wings!
While feathers don’t tend to be the most popular at these events, it has proven to be a bit of a pit favourite with younger audience members.
- 4WD with custom gearboxes
- 3S Lipo battery (was 1,200mah and 25C)
- CNC milled Aluminium chassis
- HDPE base
- More details soon
Extreme Robots Portsmouth May 2019
- Fight 1: Intermittent driving issues with the new speed controllers – survived with no damage to note
- Fight 1: Intermittent driving issues continued – wedge loosened with an impact, but no real damage. Issues seemed to be the braking on the speed controllers conflicting with the mix on the transmitter – Fixed 🙂
- Fight 3: Lost drive during first few seconds of the fight – fuse had blown. Now drive was operating at 100% the current proved too much. Upgraded the fuse for the next fight and tightened a wheel after a nasty impact from the house robot.
- Fight 4: Robot drove brilliantly. Pitted several bots in the feather melee. Eventually pitted by Heatwave (team Aftershock) after a lengthy tussle around the pit.